Take control of your device
Can’t touch the screen? No problem! with the Tecla Shield DOS™ you can use your external switches or the driving controls of your powered wheelchair 1 to:
- Make and receive phone calls and text messages
- Open and use compatible apps
- Enter text and commands with your voice2
- Browse the internet
- And much more!
The Tecla Shield DOS™ is a wireless device with a long-lasting, rechargeable built-in battery, that enables switch access to iOS®, Android™, Windows, OS X or Linux.
For Wheelchair Users
Control of your Tecla-enabled device can be made available as a driving mode in your wheelchair, so you can switch at any time between driving your chair or controlling your device. The Tecla Shield DOS™ is compatible with controllers from Invacare, PG (R-net), Permobil and many other brands!
For Switch Users
Even if you can only use one switch, you can still have access to ALL the features available to switch users in your Tecla-enabled device. The Tecla Shield DOS™ comes with modes optimized for users of one, two, and up to six switches!
Freedom of choice.
Access more than just a few apps.
The Tecla Shield DOS™ allows you to explore the Home screen and launch applications just like anybody else. You can also navigate and interact with the built-in apps on iOS® or Android™ devices to take photographs, listen to music, browse the internet, make phone calls and watch videos.
With the Tecla Shield DOS™, you will also be able to access the on-screen keyboard to compose e-mails and messages, or enter text whenever you need to.
On iOS®, DOS takes advantage of VoiceOver, Apple’s in-built screen navigation technology, to access and control the iPhone®, iPad® & iPod Touch®. On Android, DOS works in combination with the Tecla App for Android (available for free from the Google Play store).
System-wide voice assistance.
Whether you want to ask Siri to email your friend, or the Google voice assistant to skip to the next song, the Tecla Shield DOS™ will make it happen for you regardless of the number of switches you use! Single switch access to Siri? No problem!
The Tecla Shield DOS™ also enables switch access to the voice dictation key in the iOS® or Android™ built-in keyboards. This allows you to use your voice to enter text into any text box. No more typing your e-mails or text messages, just speak your mind and let your device do the typing for you!
Packed full of great features:
- Works with iPad®, iPod Touch® (3rd and 4th generations), iPhone® (4, 4S and 3GS) or Android™ (best on Samsung Galaxy™ and Google Nexus™ devices running Android™ Gingerbread and above).
- 4-way joystick navigation and iBooks iOS® modes.
- Fully customizable Android™ experience using the Tecla App for Android™.
- Integrated speed and mode configuration buttons.
- Use up to six independent switch inputs or your wheelchair driving controls.
- Connects via Bluetooth without PIN pairing code.
- Rock-solid connection: always connects automatically to last paired device
- 18 meter range.
- Size (L x W x H): 84 x 82 x 36 mm [3.5 x 3.25 x 1.5"]
- Weight: 200g
- 5000 mAh rechargeable battery that lasts 4+ days!
- Radio Type: Bluetooth Class 2
- Radio Protocol: Serial Port Profile and Human Interface Device
- Switch Port 1: 3.5mm stereo socket
- Switch Port 2: 3.5mm stereo socket
- Wheelchair Port: D-Sub 9-pin male connector
- Power Port 1: 2.1mm center-positive barrel socket (9–24V)
- Power Port 2: USB micro B socket (5V)
1. Must be equipped with an environmental control unit (ECU) module that allows the user to switch between controlling the wheelchair or their Tecla-enabled device
2. Siri and Voice Dictation are available in Beta on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation.) Internet access is required. These features may not be available in all languages or in all areas.
3. Additional switch access software for PC or Mac may be required.
4. Only available to users with access to 5 or more switches (e.g., 4-way joystick or wheelchair driving control and a ‘select’ switch) via the MouseKeys built-in feature in Mac or PC.